Friday, August 17, 2012

sweet simplicity

Life in Bondi beach is ticking along in a way that one friend of mine has labeled as 'sweetly simplistic.'  Maybe this is why I've had nothing to write about?  Not enough drama in my life perhaps?  What I have noticed lately is that I am getting a little better at rolling with the punches.  Last year when I had to move house, I resisted it and dreaded it, even though I hardly had anything to actually move, and had a great housemate to move with.  This weekend I will be moving house here, and it has hardly even ruffled my feathers, so to speak.  I live with a lovely family, and have more or less been adopted into the fold.  The mum and dad are near the same age as my parents, but their kids are 14 and 18, so I have slotted into the mix as a bit of a bridge between the generations, and get to be an independent adult, as well as a stand-in big sister.  Anyways, this family has been kind enough to ask me to come along with them, even though it means that quarters will be a bit cramped, and my lil sis will have to use the sunroom as her bedroom.  We aren't moving far, still in Bondi, and closer to all the essentials (work, the beach the organic bakery....) but I haven't actually seen inside the house yet.  Something tells me that if it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me.  Moving on to my kajillionth house address has never felt so easy. 
Another thing I have realized is that my life has been sweet because I have struck up a few fantastic friendships here.  Not only do I have good friends who I have quality time with over coffee and scrabble and trips to the farmer's markets, but walking home from work sometimes takes ages because I keep bumping into people that I know, and it is a great feeling to be a part of the community.  I don't think I will be turning into one if the infamous Bondi Hipsters anytime soon though, thank goodness, due to lack of  ability to grow an ironic beard. 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the move, Ashley! As I've heard Sharath say, "you should strive to have no expectations."-Lu

    ReplyDelete