Sunday, May 27, 2012

G'day mate

The Australian accent is fantastic.  It is playful and cheeky and colourful, and there is an awful lot of it getting absorbed into my manner of speaking.  So many words are shortened, so much slang is there, and so many r's are missing in action. 

For example:

This arvo, I had an avo and a cuppa and then went to the op shop and got a jumpah in good nick, and it was a bit expo.  (Arvo means afternoon, and avo means avocado, but they sound exactly the same.  Cuppa is cup of tea or coffee, op shop is short for opportunity shop (second hand store), jumper=jumpah=hoodie, in good nick means in good condition, expo is expensive.) Phew

Some more words/ phrases you hear a lot:
Heaps, I reckon, far out, darling, bubba, ta, cheers, no worries, bogan, tucker, and there are more, I just can't think of them at the moment.

Words that make me giggle: (essentially anything with an r)
Here (heah), hair (haih), beer (beah) surf (suuf) yarn (yahn).... you get the idea

What's even funnier is that often words with no r end up sounding like they do, for example yoga starts sounding like yoger. 

Little things too like instead of saying you've been at the beach, you would say you've been down the beach.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be condescending.  I am just fascinated, and have been really enjoying the colourful additions that I have noticed slipping into my own voice.  Part of the fun of traveling is seeing all these little variations in language from place to place, and playing with different ways of communicating. 

Crikey!

No comments:

Post a Comment