Friday, December 30, 2011

Scurvy prevention and some thoughts on assisting

In Mysore, there are many many options when it comes to food, whether your choices are restricted by budget, sensitivity of stomach, or an 'ism' (as in veganism, vegetarianism, etc...), and quite often, yoga students will wind up eating out for nearly every meal.  For the first few weeks, this is actually quite nice, seeing as how most yoga student apartments have fairly primitive kitchens, and the fact that it is actually fairly affordable is a bit of a novelty.  There does come a point though, at least for me, where the flavours and textures of Indian food begin to get a little bit blah, when you start to notice that everything you eat is mushy and seasoned with the same half dozen spices.  This is when the idea of home cooking starts to feel very alluring, single burner with one pot to cook with, no problem.  I reached this phase sometime last week, along with the realisation that my armpits are beginning to smell like idli, not a good thing.  Staying in for meals seems to reduce the social aspect of Mysore life, but that is something I can live with in the name of scurvy prevention.  Friday mornings seem to be the day for 'secret breakfast place' where you can get the best Indian breakfast in town, and that is a tradition I can live with, but the wholesomeness of home-made porridge and a spirulina drink for breakfast, and brown rice or millet with gently steamed, still crunchy veggies for lunch is getting more and more appealing by the day. 

Also, assisting in the shala has been a really cool experience so far.  There are some people who still give me a look of disgust, as in a 'who the hell are you and where is the guy I am paying so much to learn from' face when I come to give them an adjustment, and a few snide remarks have been tossed around on occasion about the assistants in general, but for the most part, the other students have been really supportive.  I am looking at this month of assisting as another way to be Sharath's student, and the bottom line is, he asked me, I didn't ask him.  It is something that I feel pretty fortunate to be doing, and getting to observe what goes on in the shala is nothing short of incredible.  Some fatigue is beginning to make itself known in my body, but the toll of dropping people back, tortoise wrestling (putting people into supta kurmasana), hoisting people out of karandavasana, and jumping up and down off the floor for supta vajrasana adjustments is not nearly so bad as I thought it might be.  And I never notice how tired I am until I leave the shala, usually it hits while drinking coconuts.  Big breakfast eating and napping ensue.  The lethargy that is usually present for the rest of the day leaves me with the perfect opportunity to catch up on the list of special order crocheted items that is growing constantly.  I think the guy who owns the yarn shop will be able to put his kids through college based on the money the Mysore crochet community spends, he must be loving this trend towards craftiness!

Time to get ready for Friday led class, which turns into quite a treat when you don't get to see primary series the rest of the week.  The only bummer?  The mosh pit at the gate when it opens and everyone swarms for the door.  Not correct method.  Happy Friday! 

1 comment: