Saturday, September 10, 2011

Nesting = cookie baking and housecleaning

Moving is all finished (has been since last weekend...) but the transition into the new place is still sort of ongoing.  I took a few hours this afternoon to nest a bit... washing windows and scrubbing walls free of smudges and cobwebs helped to make it feel more like a home.  The domesticity doesn't stop there... I also made some absolutely delicious cookies: super chewy ginger and molasses.  Yum-o!  After being so busy last weekend and a big week on the farm I was really ready for a treat today and these cookies absolutely hit the spot.  Just call me Suzy Homemaker. 
Here is the recipe for some fan-freaking-tastic cookies:
2 1/4 cups flour
2tsp baking soda
1/4tsp salt
1tsp cinnamon (I threw in extra)
1/4 tsp nutmeg (my personal addition to this recipe)
1tsp ground ginger (be brave like me, use extra, and grate it fresh!)
3/4 cup butter softened (vegan? try coconut oil!)
1cup dark brown sugar (I used about 2/3 cup instead)
1 big egg (don't like eating chicken periods?  try using a tbsp of chia soaked in 1/4 cup water)
1/4 cup molasses (I used an extra blurb to make up for less sugar)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Sift flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger together
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, beat in egg/chia and molasses until smooth
Blend with dry ingredients
Roll into balls of desired size and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Leave room for a bit of spreading to happen. 
Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookies are firm to touch. 
Eat as many as possible without getting a tummy ache, or share them with friends. 
*Don't be shy with substitutions in the ingredients.  It keeps things interesting, and adds an element of the unknown to your baking.  Live on the edge.   



In yoga news, I got a reply back from Mysore saying they have accepted my application and I have a spot to go and study there again this year.  YIPPEE!  Maybe there are very strong magnets that keep drawing me back, or maybe it is just the practice and the opportunity to study with my teacher?  One or the other.  I've had a fair few 'lightbulb moments' about my own practice lately, and it feels like a good time to put all my focus back onto being a student.  There is a little vacuum opening up in my brain that wants to suck up all the information it can about Ashtanga, and not just the asana, but the other limbs as well, and there is probably no better place in the world for that than Mother India.  The postures are going well too; my body seems to be revealing secret ninja powers I never knew I had... intermediate series is not so daunting as it once was, and all that is left to learn are the seven deadly headstands at the end.  There will be interesting tales of epic crashes I think, so stay posted. 

Now, time for a bubble bath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment