Sunday, May 9, 2010

Infinite Love


This Mother's Day, I am away from home yet again, and regardless of time difference and the vast distance between us, I am thinking of my Mum. The two of us have never really had an easy relationship; I have heard stories about my middle of the night acrobatics in utero, and the all the other problems that I caused throughout my nine months (and those extra three weeks that I tagged on at the end) in the womb. It didn't end there, as I turned out to be the one in the family who had the most insecurities, nightmares, emergency trips to the hospital, and also the most extravagantly time consuming activity of anyone I know. I think it is safe to say that my mom probably didn't much enjoy any of those aspects of my childhood, and you would think that she breathed a sigh of relief when I reached adulthood, but since I have left home, I have done nothing but make her worry more. Having a child living in a developing country on the other side of the globe is not doing anything to slow the graying of her hair. In the grand scheme of things, none of this really matters. The simple truth is that I have learned from my mum an infinite amount about what it means to love another human being, even when that other human being (ahem, me) isn't being particularly lovable. This unconditional love has left me with the solid roots of a good family and the wings to chase my dreams wherever they may take me.
Mummy, I love you.

Photo by Ron Layzell, May 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment