Saturday, February 6, 2010

Dreaming of distant places...

Wanderlust– noun: a strong, innate desire to rove or travel about.
Dictionary.com

The last few weeks I have been dreaming of India, and simultaneously feeling deeply envious of all my friends who are there right now. Then my conscience kicks in, and I feel a little ridiculous for wanting so badly to travel, because hey guess where I am: 14 time zones away from home in the imperfect but fantastic country that is Indonesia. How can I have such a deep yearning to travel when I am already so far from home? It seems a little selfish considering that many of my students and friends here have never visited another country, yet my passport is adorned with a varied collection of stamps and visas. The truth is though, that after 6 months I have put down some roots, and living in a culture where I am a minority and outsider in every possible sense has stopped feeling like travelling. Having a fairly stable daily routine, a job, and (here's the real clincher) an electric bill, some of the sense of excitement begins to get a little tarnished. There are little blips on the excitement radar, like last Friday when I made a day trip on the train to see Kebun Raya (Botanic Gardens) in Bogor, but for the most part, I have settled right in and at home here. Which also means that the urge has struck to pick up and move again. Where does this wanderlust come from? I have absolutely no idea, (except that it didn't come from my parents,) but I do know that it has got me dreaming up adventures well into the future. The world is a pretty spectacular place, and I would simply like to see as much of it as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment